Travelling With Your Pet To Europe Post Brexit

Pet Travel to the EU After Brexit

The new pet travel requirements for people in England, Scotland, and Wales will be determined based on the “third country” category the UK will be designated as post-Brexit. The three possibilities are unlisted, part 1 listed, and part 2 listed. The latest summary can be found on

EU Pet Travel Requirements for Unlisted Country

Out of the three categories, an unlisted country status would require UK pet owners to go through the most preparation steps. Pet owners will also need to prepare at least 4 months before the travel date to comply with the unlisted country travel requirements.

The main requirements are:

  • Your pet must be micro-chipped
  • Your pet must be vaccinated
  • Your pet must have a blood sample taken (titer test) at an EU-approved laboratory
  • You can only travel three calendar months after a successful blood sample is taken
  • The animal health certificate must contain the test results and the date of the blood sample, vaccination records, and micro-chipping date
  • Your pet must have tapeworm treatment 1-5 days before you travel to a tapeworm-free EU country (Finland, Malta, and Republic of Ireland)

EU Pet Travel Requirements for Listed Part 1

If the UK is to become a part 1 listed country, your pet will still need proper micro-chipping and vaccination against rabies. The main difference is that you will need to apply for a UK pet passport as the EU pet passport you may currently have in your possession will no longer be valid.

EU Pet Travel Requirements for Listed Part 2

If the UK is to become a part 2 listed country, the microchipping, rabies vaccination, and tapeworm treatment will still apply. One important distinction will be that the pet owner will need to visit an official vet no more than ten days before their travel date to get a new animal health certificate.

UK pet owners will also have to travel through designated ports of entry (TPE) in order to enter the EU with their pets. This official list covers the entry points for each country.

Returning to the UK Post-Brexit

What if you and your pet are already in the EU and have plans to travel back to the UK post-Brexit? This is the current list of requirements we are aware of for pet owners who find themselves in this situation.

  • You must have the EU pet passport that was issued prior to Brexit.
  • You must have an animal health certificate that was issued in the UK prior to your pet’s travel to the EU.
  • You must have a UK pet health certificate for travel into the UK only.
  • You must also travel on approved routes.


We hope this information has been helpful and if you regularly travel to Europe with your dog we would love to hear from you!

Love from the Aurora Pets Team x


Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing